Thank you for visiting the website for the Out-of-State Division (OOSD) of The Florida Bar, which represents the interests of over 15,000 Florida Bar members who reside and practice law outside of Florida. The OOSD focuses on ensuring out-of-state Florida Bar members are kept abreast of matters relevant to Florida lawyers and works to ensure our opinions are heard when issues arise that impact out-of-state lawyers.
The purposes of the OOSD are to:
- provide an organization within The Florida Bar open to persons having an interest in issues of importance to out-of-state members;
- assist out-of-state lawyers with administrative, educational and practice development issues, pro bono activities, relocating to Florida, and establishing a network of out-of-state members;
- aid in the development of laws that eliminate disparate treatment of out-of-state members;
- identify the professional needs and objectives of out-of-state members and implement programs to further these objectives;
- develop and maintain professional relationships between in-state and out-of state members;
- provide a forum for the discussion of issues of interest to out-of-state members;
- improve the administration and application of laws, rules and regulations; and
- promote and lobby for legitimate legislative objectives of out-of-state members.
Becoming a member of the OOSD is easy. The fee is $35 and can be paid through The Florida Bar Membership Portal or by calling (850) 561-5831. Any further questions about the membership process may be directed to Emily Young at [email protected].
As an OOSD member, you will receive a copy of the OOSD’s State-to-State quarterly newsletter that includes various articles on a wide range of topics, lawyer highlights, networking opportunities, the latest updates from the Florida Bar Board of Governors, and information on upcoming CLEs and meetings. Additionally, as an OOSD member, you will receive access to a free ethics CLE and receive discounts on other OOSD CLEs.
I hope to meet many of you this year and encourage you to reach out if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the OOSD. If you are interested in becoming more involved, having an article published, being spotlighted in our newsletter, or would like to connect with other out-of-state lawyers, please reach out to me or any member of the OOSD’s Executive Council. We are here to serve the professional needs of our members and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
Cullan E. Jones
Out-of-State Division of The Florida Bar